Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day

How do you honor your Father? Scripture says to honor your Mother and Father. But what if you don't have one, or both? What if even though your mother and father are alive, you don't have a relationship? I have thought about this many times since my children have been born. Ken's parents passed before we had kids. And even though the rest of the family is close, it's very different that our little ones don't have paternal grandparents to grow up with. And then there is my family who lives so far away, in Oregon. We love them lots, but it's hard to be close because we only see them every couple of years.

So today I will honor in my heart my father and father-in-law. But publicly I want to honor the best Daddy I know. That would be my husband. We have been married almost 15 years, and have four amazing children who love and adore him! He is the man who said he never wanted children, yet they captured his heart at that first ultrasound. He cried when they were born, and held them like they were this fragile piece of art, to be sheltered and protected from any harm that might come their way.  Even though he works a lot, he makes time for them in everything he does. He picks up the slack where I leave off. He includes one or more of them when he goes somewhere. The kids favorite thing to do with Daddy is going to the "man store" (Lowe's,  Menard's). I remember the first time he helped Matt with homework. I thought to myself, wow he is the best Dad ever! He changes nasty poopy diapers like a pro, and can brush Ella's hair like he's done it his whole life. And she has a lot of hair! He always finds time to take off work and attend the kids school programs. Most recently he went with Matt on his first Boy Scouts camping trip. Oh and I forgot to mention, he is the kids biggest fan during Pop Warner season! And he doesn't even like football! I often say he can "do it all". I bet if we had unlimited resources, he would build me the house of my dreams!

He is truly the husband and Daddy anyone could ever ask for. I don't brag about him often enough, but as I'm typing this he is currently at urgent care. The last few weeks has worn him out and he is sick with what sounds to me like a sinus infection. But the funny part is, he took Matt with him! He just does whatever needs to be done with kids in tow. Which is how we like it. Everything we do includes our kids. I pray that when our kids are older and have their own family, they will remember how Mom and Dad did things, and remember that it was out of love for them!

Happy Fathers Day to the best Daddy in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment